Saturday 15 March 2014

Over 110 reasons why Owen Hunnam deliberately destroyed his business...

The history
A couple of years ago when I helped launch MonaVie in the UK, I met up with Owen Hunnam, one of my favourite business owners in the Sevenoaks area. Owen's second most famous project is Vine magazine. The campaign that Owen helped me to put together in Vine helped accelerate my business.

The idea was to boost above what was possible with yellow pages alone by creating a 'front of mind' magazine that would have 'stickiness' and stick around on the coffee table for a while. The campaign was successful in that I became one of the top leaders in my industry that year due to the increased demand generated from the publication.

The destruction
Fast forward 4 years and my mate Vince Hone, who runs Great British Kitchens near Polhill, tells me that Owen is closing vine magazine and moving everything digital. Wow, what an opportunity I thought. I could go into the publishing business and produce my own magazine. Then the penny dropped. Why would Owen ditch the publication and go digital? Here's my thoughts. It's one of the reasons my business has run on automatic over the last couple of years. Powerful digital tools and a touch of cheekiness. Here's why it might have been a good idea not to go digital, but to go mobile...


I launched the iNumberz service in 2008 - here's an updated presentation.
We all know that yellow pages gets looked at once every other year when the old is thrown out and the new one put on the shelf.


You might have noticed that more and more people are using smartphones. You probably pay multiple bills for these devies a month. They are addictive.


Here's the stats - the average person checks their phone 110 times a day!

In the past digital design / web design services have been sold on you competing against the world.
Websites can no longer compete with mobile because of the captive audience you have with a mobile home screen app. Here's a way of looking at it.



A shop window is only as good as the footfall / number of visitors and type of clients walking or driving by. Already a single online retailer is in the top 10 of bricks and mortar retailers, globally. So how about having your store front right next to their "shop window".


Imagine having your business promoted on a home screen that is looked at by the average person 110 times a day. This is the power of a smartphone app combined with a mobile friendly website.


So if you are interested in taking advantage of this opportunity, let's talk. But whatever you do, don't dissolve all your advertising like Owen. Test and measure.

Contact mark@iNumberz.com to start your measured evaluation of smartphone apps.

01732 80 80 67 (voicemail)
07767 875 550 (text)


No comments:

Post a Comment